Welcome to Malden Manor Bowling Club
Latest: Please note the green will be close all day Thursday 26th May for the Funeral of George Wye
Open Days 2022
Saturday 14th May anytime between 10am and 12 noon
A Brief History of Malden Manor Bowls Club
Malden Manor Bowling Club plays in Manor Park, Old Malden. It was formed in 2009 following the amalgamation of Malden & Coombe BC and Manor Park Ladies’ BC.
The green at Manor Park (known until 1953 as Malden and Coombe Sports and Recreation Ground) was laid down in 1933 and Malden and Coombe B.C., a men’s club, was founded as a Council-run club under the auspices of the then Maldens and Coombe Urban District Council who had bought the sports ground from the Columbia Graphophone Company.
There is no mention of women bowling until the middle fifties when the first to appear, recorded in 1956, was the bowling club attached to Cuddington Townswomen’s Guild. In 1962 it was agreed to sever this connection and to rename the club Manor Park Ladies B.C. The two clubs shared the use of the green harmoniously.
Towards the end of the ‘80’s Kingston Council approached Malden and Coombe B.C. with a view to the clubs taking over the running of the facility, making it clear that ‘this was an offer the clubs could not refuse’. The two clubs officially took over in January 1993, leasing the ground from the council but managing its own affairs.
The clubhouse was extended with proper changing rooms, a large lounge and small bar and, was officially opened on July 31st.1999. The extension was funded by the National Lottery and the Foundation for Sports and the Arts, and a great deal of work and fund-raising by the members.
The two clubs amalgamated in 2009 under the name of Malden Manor Bowling Club bringing it into line with modern trends. Work to further extend the clubhouse, funded by donations from members, was completed in 2017. The internal footprint was much increased and glass fronted, bi-fold doors were installed.